The ability to deal with anxiety in a healthy way is critical to maintaining your quality of life. It is even more important for someone who experiences chronic pain. When you’re experiencing anxiety, your body chemistry changes. Chemicals are secreted that create an arousal state. Your senses are heightened and your perception of pain is heightened.
There are several principles I have learned from my own experience and working with my patients:
- Untreated disruptive anxiety always gets worse. It will NEVER get better on its own.
- Anxiety is highly treatable if it is acknowledged and treated properly.
- Anxiety is both normal and necessary–it will never disappear. Every human is programmed to avoid situations that would potentially affect his/her survival.
- It is important to differentiate the sources of your anxiety from your reaction to it.
- The harder you try to suppress fear, the stronger it will become. White bears
- Avoiding anxiety becomes its own stressor.
- It is necessary to learn to live with anxiety; is it not solveable.
I think that unrelenting and uncontrolled anxiety is intolerable and the one of the worst aspects of being a human. It will infiltrate every corner of your life.I find it tragic that such a treatable problem is so often not adequately addressed.